Follow Charlie and Jane on their trip around Australia

Sunday 28 August 2011

The Bungle Bungles - by land

Our free bush camp just outside Purnunulu National Park

A lone runaway from the muster

On the road into the National Park at 6.30 am

Those magnificent beehives at ground level

Tip-tioe amongst the beehives

The majestic Cathedral Gorge

Cathedral Gorge

The ampitheatre at the end of Cathedral Gorge

I wish I had a frock then it could be "a cock in a frock on a rock!!" (Priscilla fans)

Piccaninny Creek

More beehives - is that where the bees go?

Ann and I cooking over the fire at the end of the day

Well I've said just about all I can say about the Bungle Bungles in my previous blog.  It was amazing to see them at land level and I'm really glad we did because for me it was more magical.  I'm glad we weren't put off by people who said the road was bad and not to do it.  We decided we would go and if it was too bad we would turn around and go back - I promised Charlie I would do what he wanted and wouldn't have a hissy fit if he said to turn around - that would be a first wouldn't it?  Again we were careful - it took us 2 and three quarter hours to do 56 ks but it was well worth it.

The Cathedral Gorge walk was spectacular and at the end of it we came into an ampitheatre where there was a man playing a didgeridoo which reverberated right around the rocks and it was very eerie.  Piccaninny Creek was awesome with the white uneven sandstone bed leading to the beehive domes - loved that bit.

After a tiring day as we were up and on the road by 6.15 am we got back to camp and David and Ann had a good fire going ready to cook our meal before we flopped into bed!!

PS We had a couple of station guys come round and tell us there was going to be a muster of cattle running through the free camp the next day - no problem just warning us.  We tossed up and decided it might be fun to stay and snapped a lone runaway meandering through the camp!!  However in the afternoon, there was a big muster with helicopters and horseback riders but they luckily didn't come through the camp but stayed on the other side of the road.

Anyway all for now - I'm up to date with all my blogs until we do the Horizontal Waterfalls tomorrow and as I've written 4 need a VERY LARGE glass of red wine so its Adieu from The Wandering 2s.

1 comment:

  1. ooohhhh, hope it was an amazing experience today!! Lexi thought the bull was a fake, like the one on the postcard!
    In her words, 'that just looks amaaazing!!'

    ReplyDelete