Follow Charlie and Jane on their trip around Australia

Sunday 28 August 2011

Bungle Bungles - By Air

Getting ready for boarding

Charlie gets chosen as co-pilot - GULP!!

The majestic Beehives

Beehives

Cathedral Gorge

Argyle Diamond Mine

Picanniny Creek

One of the escarpments

Another view of the Diamond Mine

Lake Argyle from the air

Well he got us back safe and sound

The Bungle Bungle Range in the World Heritage-listed Purnululu National Park is truly an inspiring tribute to nature.  From the air the black and orange beehive domes are an impressive sight and I read somewhere that they rise 200 metres above the plain with many gorges and pools contained.  Apparently the striped formations have thin outer skins of black lichen and orange silica which if broken will expose the soft sandstone beneath.  They are amazing, breathtaking, sensational and anything else I can think of but that's enough of the boring stuff - I'll tell you about our plane flight.

We went on a 13 seater and got there along with 11 other people ready for our flight.  The Captain looked sooooooo young - didn't even look as though he shaved but then I was reminded of my cousin's son who at 23 flies F111's so gulped and decided to get on the plane - well almost!!!  because then our Baby Captain decided he wanted a co-pilot and chose Charlie of all people.  No-one seemed worried about it except me because I know he can't find his way out of a paper bag.  Well I kept quiet and he rose to the challenge and after crossing myself I was glad I had updated our wills but a little bit miffed that we hadn't actually SPENT all of the kid's inheritance by then.  Anyway I was brave.

The flight was spectacular as you can see from the photos - 2 hours of pure magic, running commentary from Baby Captain and the co-pilot.  We flew over Lake Argyle which was great to see it from a different perspective and we realised exactly how huge it is.  We also flew over the Argyle Diamond mine which  is huge and is the world's largest producer of diamonds.  Baby Captain told us that when the diamond mine was first set up a "dummy town" was created some distance away - all the old utes etc and buildings were bought from Kununurra to set this town up.  This was to divert attention away from where the diamonds were!!

Anyway after our 2 hour flight Baby Captain and his co-pilot landed safely on the runway at Kununurra allowing me to make more plans for spending!!  Sorry to my children but someone just has to do it.

Anyway Adieu from The Wandering 2s.











No comments:

Post a Comment